Terms of Particpation
The MTV Campus Challenge Voting Access (the “Program”)
“Terms of Participation”
By participating in this Program, you hereby agree to the following terms and conditions (“Terms of Participation”):
1. Key Dates: “The MTV Campus Challenge Voting Access” opportunity (the “Program”) commences at 12:00:01 PM Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) on March 8, 2022 and continues through 5:59:59 PM (EST) on September 30, 2022 (the “Program Term“).
2. Sponsor: The Program is sponsored and administered by Viacom International Inc., on behalf of the “MTV” programming services (“Sponsor”). All inquiries regarding this Program should be directed to email@example.com.
3. Program Partner: This Program is offered in connection with a partnership with Campus Vote Project “Campus Vote Project” or “Program Partner”).
4. Eligibility: Participation in this Program requires prior approval and is subject to Participants meeting the following criteria:
(a) General Eligibility Terms. Participant must be a legal resident of the United States and currently enrolled as a student at a 2-year or 4-year college or university: (i) with a campus that was more than one (1) mile away from a voting option in the 2020 election year (i.e. Election Day polling place or early voting site) and/or where enrollment numbers require additional support/new sites be established on the campus and (ii) located in a state where early voting is permitted and who have been approved by Campus Vote Project to participate.
(b) Approval from Campus Vote Project. Participants must have obtained the prior approval to participate in the Program from Campus Vote Project. To submit a request for approval send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than April 15, 2022 along with the following information:
- your full legal name
- the name of the college or university in which you are currently enrolled and
- your class year
- Name and contact information, along with a letter of approval /support from a campus administrator (e.g. professor, dean, advisor)
Upon receipt, Campus Vote Project will reply to inquiries on a rolling basis and schedule a phone call to verify Eligibility Requirements and grant or deny an approval to participate.
A student who meets the Eligibility Requirements and who has been deemed approved to participate shall be herein referred to as a “Participant.” Participant’s college /university shall be referred to as the “Participating School”). Participants will be limited to a maximum of two (2) Participants per school and limit one (1) Prize (hereinafter defined) per school regardless of whether there are one or two Participants participating on behalf of that one school. Participation approval will be given on a first-come, first-served basis in the event that more than two (2) students from any given school have submitted a request to participate in the Program. All Prizes (hereinafter defined) will be awarded directly to the winning Participant’s Participating School.
Participants who are deemed to be a minor in their jurisdiction of legal residence must have the written approval of a parent or legal guardian on all legal documents required to be executed in order to participate in the Program. VOID WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Employees and their immediate families (i.e., parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, step parents, step children and step siblings) of Sponsor, Campus Vote Project, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries and other affiliated companies, sponsors, advertising agencies and third party fulfillment agencies and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns collectively, with Sponsor, the “Program Entities” are not eligible to participate. By participating in the Program, participants: (A) agree to be bound by these Terms of Participation and by the interpretations of these Terms of Participation by Sponsor and Campus Vote Project, and by the decisions of Sponsor and Campus Vote Project, which are final in all matters relating to this Program; (B) to release and hold harmless Sponsor and Campus Vote Project against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in the Program and/or use or misuse or redemption of a Prize (hereinafter defined); and (C) acknowledge compliance with these Terms of Participation.
5. Participation Requirements: Participants participate in the Program by taking part in and completing various activities/actions (“Action(s)”) during the Program Term with the goal of establishing new, early voting sites on their campuses as set forth in the table below. Each of the Actions will be assigned a point value (“Point(s)”). During the Program Term, Participants will be required to demonstrate proof of completion of these Actions via a process of self-reporting via survey from Sponsor (“Action Survey”). At the end of the Program Term, Sponsor will tabulate the Participants’ Points, which, in conjunction with the Judging Criteria set forth in Section 8, will be considered in Sponsor’s selection of the Winning Participants and Winning Schools (hereinafter defined).
MTV Campus Challenge Actions
1 point each
For every bundle of 25 voter pledge cards filled out
2 pts each
- On campus statements of support (from Student Council Leadership, Dean of Students, President’s Office, School Senate, School Reps, Polisci Dept Head etc.)
5 pts each
- 1 comprehensive campus plan written and shared with Campus Vote Project
- Any op-eds placed (other than in a campus publication)
- Location for early voting site chosen, all voting site qualifications have been met i.e. bathrooms, parking, accessibility etc. and the proposed location has been approved by campus administrators
- Audience with county election officials
- Transportation for student voters organized where necessary
- Dropbox placed
- Early Voting Center confirmed and placed
Action Surveys are due no later than September 30, 2022 (the “Survey Deadline”). Action Surveys must be completed fully and accurately.
Action Surveys which are incomplete and/or late will be disqualified. Action Surveys that are illegible, incomplete or contain information other than as requested will not be accepted. No responsibility is assumed for incorrect or inaccurate information disseminated or received by Sponsor, whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Program or by any human error which may occur in the processing of Action Surveys. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, delayed, mutilated, illegible or misdirected Action Surveys or Program-related materials or any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion or the Internet or at any web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to Participants or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Program. If, for any reason, the Program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Program or for any reason Sponsor deems it necessary, Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, delay or suspend the Program due to any reason of a technical, creative or other nature. Action Surveys or other materials or documents submitted by a participant that have been tampered with or altered are void. By participating in this Program, Participants acknowledge compliance with these Terms of Participation.
6. Grant of Rights: Participants hereby grant Sponsor and Campus Vote Project Viacom a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to, broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the materials submitted, and any likeness of it in all media now known and later coming into being for purposes of trade or advertising without compensation or attribution. Participants represent and warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant the foregoing license and if applicable, have secured from any participants in, and contributors to, their submission in order to grant such a license.
7. Judging Panel: The judging panel will be comprised of representatives from Sponsor’s MTV Social Impact team (collectively, the “Judges”). Please note: Judges reserves the right to conduct phone interviews with some or all of the participants in order to clarify any information submitted on an Action Survey or on any other materials required to be submitted as part of a Participant’s participation in this Program.
8. Judging Criteria/Winner Selection: Judges will select up to twenty (20) “Winning Participants” from among all Participants based on the following criteria: (a) Total Points earned from the Challenges (30%) and in Sponsor’s subjective opinion, Participants demonstration of the following: (b) Innovation (e.g. has the Participating School demonstrated unique strategies to help bring new voting options to the Participating School? (35%) and (c) Engagement (e.g. has the Participating School demonstrated active engagement in polling place placement/ expansion of access to voting for students on campus in in the surrounding community? (35%) (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”).
The Winning Participant’s Participating School shall be hereinafter referred to as the “Winning School”. There will be no individual prizes awarded to the Winning Participants and all prizes shall be awarded directly to the Winning Schools. The selection of the Winning Participants and Winning Schools and application of the Judging Criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Judges, and all awards are final. To the extent permitted by law, Sponsor disclaims any liability from, and Participants (whether or not designated as a Winning Participant agree to waive, any claims against Sponsor or Judges relating to the judging or awarding process.
9. Verification of Winning Participants and Winning Schools. Winning Participants and Winning Schools as a condition of receiving a Prize, must sign (a) an affidavit of eligibility and liability release releasing Sponsor, Campus Vote Project and each of their respective corporate parents, subsidiaries, employees, affiliated entities, consultants, volunteers, advertising agencies, from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Program or the use or acceptance of a Prize; (b) except where prohibited, a promotional release granting the right to use their names and likenesses for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation and (c) additional legal documentation furnished by Sponsor verifying Winning Participants’ and Winning Schools’’ acceptance of these Terms of Participation and the conditions of participation in this Program. Entry into this Program constitutes Winning Participant’s’ agreement to sign such releases and obtain the foregoing authorizations from their respective Participating School. Winning Participants and their respective Winning Schools must also complete any additional legal documents provided by Sponsors and return them as instructed and in a timeframe requested by Sponsor. Noncompliance by any Participant may result in such participant’s disqualification.
10. Prizes (18): (up to $25,000 total to be awarded): Each Winning School will receive a grant of between $500- $5,000 as follows:
First Prizes (3 to be awarded): $5,000
Second Prizes (5 to be awarded ): $1,000
Third Prizes (10 to be awarded): $500
Prizes awarded must be applied towards the costs associated the Winning School’s Vote Early Day activities and initiatives and will be payable directly to the Winning Schools No Prizes will be awarded directly to an individual Participating Winner. Prize Recipients are subject to the review and approval of Sponsor as a condition of receiving a Prize, pursuant to Sponsor’s corporate policies concerning corporate, educational and charitable donations. In the event that a Winning School is unwilling to accept the Prize or is otherwise not approved by Sponsor, Sponsor shall use reasonable efforts work with the Winning Participant and the Winning School to identify an alternate organization to designate as the recipient of the Prize; provided, however that Sponsor shall have the right to make the final determination of any and all Prize recipients. Any applicable federal and state taxes on the Prizes are the sole responsibility of the Prize recipients. No substitution or transfer of Prizes Grants, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
The exact number of Prizes awarded and the exact amount and manner of disbursement of Prizes will be solely determined by Sponsor based on the quantity and quality of responses received for this Program. Sponsor reserves the right to award more or fewer than eighteen (18) Prizes at its sole discretion.
Prizes are anticipated to be fulfilled by December 31, 2022, subject to change in Sponsor’s sole discretion, and receipt of a Prize by any Prize recipient is subject to the following conditions: (a) Prize recipients must sign all required legal documents provided by Sponsor by an authorized signatory and (2) Prizes must only be applied to cover Vote Early Day expenses and initiatives within the Winning School, in accordance with all applicable laws. Prize recipients further agree to be bound by the guidelines and decisions of the Sponsor, which are final with respect to all matters of this Program.
11. Sponsor-Produced Programming: Sponsor may, at its option, produce film/video of the Winning Participants and Winning Schools in connection with this Program and/or ancillary material captured during or relating to the prize-fulfillment. Participants, upon entry into this Program, hereby consent to participate in the foregoing activities, as reasonably requested by Sponsor. All film/video/photo/audio/written material and programming created by Sponsor will be referred to as “Programming”. Sponsor shall be the exclusive owner of the copyright and other rights in and to the Programming. Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, affiliated broadcast stations and networks and licensees will be able to use the Programming forever and throughout the world, and to license others to use it, in any manner Sponsor wishes and in any and all media now known or hereafter discovered or developed without notice, including for advertising, promoting and publicizing any of its products or services, such use may include portions and excerpts, in addition to cut in synchronized, dubbed and superimposed versions of the Programming. By participating in the foregoing activities/events, participants acknowledge that Sponsor may use the Programming in accordance with the permission granted herein without any compensation, royalty, payment, liability or obligation to the participant or any third party. Sponsor is under no obligation to broadcast or otherwise exploit the Programming.
12. General Terms: Noncompliance with any of these Terms of Participation may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY A PARTICIPANT THAT WILL BRING SUCH RECIPIENT OR PROGRAM ENTITIES INTO DISREPUTE (IN PROGRAM ENTITIES’ SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH PARTICIPANT’S DISQUALIFICATION FROM THIS PROGRAM AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS A POTENTIAL WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
The Program Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate processing of information submitted for this Program, whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Program or by any human, mechanical or electronic error which may occur in the processing of materials in this Program. The Program Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Program. The Program Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of this Program, errors in processing Program materials, identifying the Winning Participants/Winning Schools or in the announcement of the Winning Participants and Winning Schools. If, for any reason, this Program is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Program Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Program, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Program. Should this Program be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Website and the Prizes may be awarded to Participating Schools to be selected from among all eligible Participating Schools in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by Sponsor. All interpretations of these Terms of Participation and decisions by Sponsor are final. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects or finds (a) to have used a software generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online means for submitting materials, (b) to have tampered with the materials submissions process or the operation of this Program, (c) to be acting in violation of these Terms of Participation, (d) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person or (e) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Program. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROGRAM IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE; PROGRAM ENTITIES RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE NEW YORK COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THIS PROGRAM AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK SHALL GOVERN THIS PROGRAM. EACH PARTICIPANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS. Participants agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Program Entities from any and all liability resulting or arising from this Program, to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against the Program Entities, and hereby acknowledge that Program Entities have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes awarded.
All participants into this Program are solely responsible for consulting with qualified professionals and investigating, understanding and complying with any and all federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations and ordinances which may apply to Participants and the activities and/or business in which such participants may engage. There may be tax consequences associated with the receipt of monies that a Winning School may receive and with, which may include, without limitation, an obligation to report as income and to pay taxes on such funds/income to federal, state and/or local authorities. It is up to the Winning Schools to determine the tax consequences of such funds/income, and to comply with all applicable laws in all respects, if applicable.
13. For inquiries related to the Program, a copy of these Terms of Participation or the names of the Winning Participants and Winning Schools, send an email to: email@example.com
All requests for a copy of the Terms of Participation and for the names of the Winning Participants and Winning Schools must be made by December 31, 2022.